This topic is particular close to my heart because I know that there are so many people out there that don’t know that they are missing out on life or even worse, they do know and they just accept it. And once again I am not excluding myself here.
I am talking about routine. Our cozy and comfortable routine. That always returning process day in and day out.
When you think now that your life isn’t that conventional ask yourself the following questions:
- When was the last time you tried something new? I mean something really new! Something that scared you a little or even better, a lot. Trying a new recipe every week doesn’t really count here. Yes the recipe is new but the act or the process is not since you do it all the time. Take a piece of paper and write down everything you tried for the first time in the last six months. Make sure that you are really honest with yourself.
- When was the last time you were really exited about something? I mean jumping and screaming and dancing all over. An experience that woke up all the butterflies in your belly. Material things don’t count though. I mean I honestly doubt that something you bought in a store can give you wings like that but who knows. It might just be me who doesn’t really care about that stuff. I am talking about an experience, an adventure. Again, think about the last 6 months and write those moments down. How many do you have?
- Considering all the things you do during the week, how many of those things make you really happy? Are you wasting your time with reality shows, video games and getting drunk? I am not saying you shouldn’t do those things at all. Video games are so much fun! But not every day all the time. Use your time more productively and lay the foundation for a bright future. You don’t want to wake up one day and realise that you fucked that one up. Take a calendar and fill every day with the things you do. Now take grey and colour everything you must do and pink for the things that bring you joy. How does that look? Get that pink colour going!
- Do you feel disconnected? You think you are actually living a good life and you shouldn’t complain. But you also feel that you are disconnected from your passion and excitement others feel when they talk about their work or lives in general. Many people think that they are not the “passionate type of person”. Honestly I was one of them for a long time until I started to actively explore the things I love. I am a strong believer that everyone has a passion for something. This can be as simple as an hobby. Sometimes the act itself needs to have a purpose, like volunteering for example. It’s up to you to find it though. So what the heck are you waiting for?
- Are you sometimes wondering “is this all life has to offer”? It’s like a small shadow lying within. You can’t quite put your finger on it but something is missing. You don’t really feel unhappy since your life isn’t bad at all. Maybe you have a good job, money, a great partner or maybe a family. But it’s not enough. It’s not fulfilling. Don’t ignore that feeling just because you think you don’t have the right to complain. It will never go away itself. Follow your heart and explore your options. There is always a way.
Not living a fulfilled life doesn’t necessary mean that you are super unhappy. It only means that there is so much waiting for you. You don’t have to travel the world or bungee jump from a bridge (my personal nightmare by the way). Just kick yourself out of your comfort zone on a regular basis. Start paying more attention to your daily choices and always, I mean always take the scenic route!